- 2 cans (15 ounces each) chili with beans
- ½ cup Original Bisquick® mix
- ¼ cup milk
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 package (4 ounces) shredded Cheddar cheese (1 cup)
- Heat oven to 400°F. Spray 10-inch ovenproof skillet with cooking spray. Heat chili in skillet over medium heat, stirring occasionally, just until simmering. Remove from heat.
- Stir Bisquick mix, milk and egg in small bowl with fork or wire whisk until blended. Spoon batter in ring around outer edge of chili. Sprinkle 1/2 cup of the cheese over batter.
- Bake about 20 minutes or until crust is golden brown and knife inserted in center of crust comes out clean. Immediately sprinkle remaining 1/2 cup cheese over center. Let stand 5 minutes before serving.
High Altitude (3500-6500 ft) No changes
Variation: To make a corn bread topping that covers all of the chili mixture, make as directed–except for step 2, stir 1/2 cup Bisquick mix, 1/2 cup cornmeal, 1/4 cup water and 1/4 cup milk until blended (no egg needed); stir in half of the cheese. Continue as directed in step 3–except bake 15 to 20 minutes or until crust is golden brown.
Substitution: If you don’t have an ovenproof skillet, use an ovenproof 2-quart casserole dish. Cover and microwave chili in casserole on High 2 to 3 minutes, stirring after 1 minute, until hot. Continue as directed in step 2.