- 3 parts silver rum
- 1 part triple sec
- 8 parts OJ
Add all ingredients to glass or pitcher, depending on the size of the “parts”, mix, pour in glasses if appropriate, and add ice.
Adapted from The Berry Bible
The simple syrup recipe is for a larger batch of simple syrup to keep on hand. It keeps for months in the fridge if you store it in a clean container.
- 1 ounce (30ml) simple syrup
- about 3 fresh strawberries
- 4-5 fresh spearmint sprigs (chopped if you prefer smaller mint pieces in your cocktail)
- 1 ounce (30ml) fresh lime juice
- 2 ounces (60ml) light rum
- 3-4 ounces (90-120ml) soda water
- In a chilled highball glass (about 10-12 ounces), muddle the simple syrup, strawberries and mint leaves together with the back of a spoon or muddler. Crush the strawberries and mint leaves well.
- Stir in the lime juice and rum. Fill the glass with ice and top off with soda water. Gently stir.
- Garnish with mint sprigs or strawberry slices.
Note 1: A basic simple syrup is a 1:1 ratio of sugar dissolved in water. example- One cup sugar dissolved in one cup of water. We usually make larger batches and keep on hand in the refrigerator.
1 cup water
1 cup granulated white sugar
1 1/2 cups pitted fresh cherries (reserve a few for garnish)
20 or so good-sized fresh mint leaves
8 ounces white rum
club soda, chilled
ice cubes, optional
- Prepare a simple syrup (do this a couple of hours ahead of time- or longer- so that it has time to chill). > Boil water, add sugar and stir until dissolved. Let cool, then chill in the refrigerator until it has a chance to get very cold.
- In a blender or food processor, blend chilled simple syrup and cherries. Pour through a strainer, discard the cherry pulp and keep the sweetened cherry juice.
- Place 4 to 5 mint leaves in the bottom of 4 to 6 tall glasses. Squeeze half a lime into each glass. Add 2 ounces of rum to each glass. Use a muddler (or the handle of a wooden spoon) to smash the mint leaves, lime juice and rum together. Divide the sweetened cherry juice between the four glasses. Top each drink off with chilled club soda. Stir, garnish with fresh cherries and serve. Add an ice cube or two, if desired.
*It’s okay to prepare the sweetened cherry juice up to one day ahead. Keep chilled.
*Don’t have a cherry pitter? Find a straw and poke the straw through the cherries. It might take a little longer, but the pit will pop right out!