Adapted from The Berry Bible
The simple syrup recipe is for a larger batch of simple syrup to keep on hand. It keeps for months in the fridge if you store it in a clean container.
- 1 ounce (30ml) simple syrup
- about 3 fresh strawberries
- 4-5 fresh spearmint sprigs (chopped if you prefer smaller mint pieces in your cocktail)
- 1 ounce (30ml) fresh lime juice
- 2 ounces (60ml) light rum
- 3-4 ounces (90-120ml) soda water
- In a chilled highball glass (about 10-12 ounces), muddle the simple syrup, strawberries and mint leaves together with the back of a spoon or muddler. Crush the strawberries and mint leaves well.
- Stir in the lime juice and rum. Fill the glass with ice and top off with soda water. Gently stir.
- Garnish with mint sprigs or strawberry slices.
Note 1: A basic simple syrup is a 1:1 ratio of sugar dissolved in water. example- One cup sugar dissolved in one cup of water. We usually make larger batches and keep on hand in the refrigerator.