|Prep Time||5 minutes|
|Cook Time||25 minutes|
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 1/2 C Arborio rice or Bomba rice
- 5 C chicken stock
- 1 onion diced
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 6 oz can tomato paste
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp saffron threads 2 pinches
- 1/2 tsp. turmeric
- 1/2 tsp red chili flakes or 2 chili de arbol
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 8 ounces andouille sausage
- 1 pound chicken cooked and cut into bit sized peices
- Heat a large paella pan (or large saute pan) over medium heat. Add the olive oil. When oil is hot, add the onion and saute for 5 minutes, until onion is softened and turning golden. Add the garlic and saute for 30 seconds.
- Add the tomato paste and continue to cook until it is completely mixed in and the onions are rust colored, 2- 3 minutes.
- Add the salt, paprika, chili flakes, turmeric and saffron, stir to incorporate.
- Add the rice and stir fry until the rice is completely coated with the oil and spices.
- Stir in the stock. Bring to a simmer.
- Reduce heat to low and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add in the sliced chorizo and cook for about 5 more minutes.
- Add cooked chicken. You may need to press the shrimp into the rice with a spoon so that they are almost covered with the remaining liquid. Cook for 5-10 more minutes or until liquid is evaporated.
- Sprinkle parsley on top and serve.
*If you cannot find bomba rice you can use arborio. Be sure to follow package instructions for the amount of liquid, defer to package instructions if they are different than what is listed here. *If you cannot find Spanish chorizo you can use andouille sausage or Kielbasa. Be sure you get the kind that is ready to eat and not one that is raw. *I always use kosher salt. If you do not have kosher salt and are using regular table salt, reduce salt to ½ teaspoon and adjust for taste. *The bottom of the paella can burn, be sure to reduce heat to low and watch carefully to avoid burning.
Share this Recipe
Shrimp and Chorizo Paella
Amount Per Serving
Calories 423 Calories from Fat 144
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 16g 25%
Saturated Fat 4g 20%
Trans Fat 0.001g
Polyunsaturated Fat 1g
Monounsaturated Fat 2g
Cholesterol 68mg 23%
Sodium 1077mg 45%
Potassium 411mg 12%
Total Carbohydrates 42g 14%
Dietary Fiber 3g 12%
Protein 28g 56%
Vitamin A 9%
Vitamin C 6%
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet.