Baked savory apples
- 6 ounces sweet sausage
- 1/3 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup cooked white or brown rice
- 1 teaspoon fresh rosemary, chopped
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme, chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 4 large apples, Fuji or Braeburn are good options
- 3/4 cup apple cider
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
- In a large skillet, cook the sausage and onions over medium-high heat until browned, about five minutes. Transfer sausage mixture to a medium bowl. Mix in the rice, rosemary, thyme and olive oil and set aside.
- Slice the tops off each apple and a thin slice from the bottom to allow them to stand flat. Core the apples from the top using a melon baller or small spoon going to, but not through, the bottom of the apple. Use the melon baller or spoon to scoop out the apple leaving about a 1/4-inch apple shell. Chop up a half cup of the scooped-out apple and add it to the sausage mixture.
- Place the apples in a 2-quart baking dish. Fill each apple with the sausage mixture. Pour cider into the bottom of the baking dish. Bake uncovered for 30-40 minutes or until apples are tender. Serve warm in shallow dishes drizzled with the cooking liquid.