- 1/2 lb. bacon
- 1 large onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 c. all-purpose flour
- 2 c. low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 c. whole milk
- 8 oz. lager
- 3 c. shredded Cheddar
- kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Bread, for serving
- In a large skillet over medium heat, cook bacon until crisp, 6 minutes. Transfer to a paper towel-lined plate to let drain, then crumble.
- Heat skillet with bacon fat over medium heat. Add onion and cook until soft, 6 minutes. Add garlic and cook until fragrant, 1minute. Add flour and whisk until golden, 3 minutes.
- Add broth, milk, and beer and let simmer, 15 minutes.
- Add cheese and stir until melted. Season generously with salt and pepper. Stir in most of the crumbled bacon.
- Ladle soup into bowls and top with remaining bacon. Serve with bread.