Perk up your roast pork and roast chicken Sunday Lunch with these Savoury Sausage and Sage Roast Apples - they are easy to make & delicious with all roasts, as well as making a tasty family supper dish when served with mashed potatoes and gravy. (Recommended recipe to cook with these apples: Perfect Roast Chicken or Honey Roast Chicken)
|Prep Time||15 minutes|
|Cook Time||1 hour|
- 4 Bramley Apples
- 4 x high meat content pork sausages skinned
- Tbsp chopped fresh sage leaves
- 1 onion peeled and very finely chopped
- 1 slice stale wholemeal bread crumbled into sine bread crumbs
- salt and pepper to taste
- Core the apples with an apple corer and make a hole big enough for the filling; then score around the middle of the apple with a sharp knife, to stop them bursting whilst cooking - although cooking apples may still burst.
- Mix the sausagemeat, sage, onion and breadcrumbs together to make a stuffing - season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Fill each hole with the sausage stuffing mixture, dot each apple with a little butter and then place the apples into an oven dish or a roasting tray, or alongside a roast chicken or roast pork joint.
- Add a little water to the dish to stop the juices burning and caramelising, and bake in a pre-heated oven 190C/375F/Gas 5 for 45 to 60 minutes - if adding to a roast chicken or roast pork dish, add them for the last 45 to 60 minutes of cooking. (Cooking time depends on the size of the apples)
- Baste the apples regularly with the juices in the dish and add a little water if they dry out, or baste with the meat juices. Once they are cooked, gently take them out of the pan using a slotted spoon, loosely cover them with foil and set aside for 5 minutes before serving.
- Serve them alongside roast chicken or roast pork - these savoury baked apples would also make a fabulous family supper dish when served with mashed potatoes and gravy. If there is any excess stuffing mixture left, then roll them into balls and bake for 30 minutes alongside the stuffed apples.
- NB: you can prepare them beforehand and keep them in the fridge in a covered dish until you need to bake them.
Original recipe: https://www.lavenderandlovage.com/2016/02/savoury-sausage-and-sage-baked-apples.html
Share this Recipe
There is no Nutrition Label for this recipe yet.