- 2 Tbsp mirin sake
- 1/2 C low sodium soy sauce for GF use low sodium Tamari
- 1 1/2 Tbsp honey
- 1 garlic clove crushed
- 1 lb boneless, skinless chicken thighs all fat trimmed (Purdue Fit & Easy)
- 5 large green onions cut 1-inch-long
- 1 medium zucchini sliced into 1/2-inch thick rings
- 18 bamboo skewers 10 inch
- Bring mirin, low sodium soy sauce, honey and crushed garlic to a boil in a medium-sized sauce pan, and cook over medium heat for about 5 minutes. Set aside to cool.
- Cut the chicken into 1-inch pieces and place in a Ziplock bag; pour half of the marinade over the chicken. Place the zucchini in a second large Ziplock bag and pour the remaining marinade over the zucchini. Refrigerate for at least 30 minutes. Meanwhile, soak the skewers in water 30 minutes so they don’t burn.
- Thread the chicken onto skewers, alternating with green onion so that each stick has 3 cubes of chicken and two pieced of green onion, discarding the chicken marinade.
- Thread the zucchini onto skewers, alternating with remaining green onion, reserving the marinade for basting.
- Preheat the grill or a grill pan over medium-high heat. When hot, spray with oil then reduced heat to medium; grill the zucchini and chicken skewers about 5 to 6 minutes on each side brushing both sides of the skewers with the yakitori sauce during the last few minutes of cooking time..
- Makes 14 chicken skewers, 4 zucchini skewers.
*Note: It’s really hard to be accurate with the sodium here since most of it is tossed, I calculated it with 2 tbsp soy sauce and 1 tbsp mirin, but it would actually be less.
Skinnytaste.com Size: 3 1/2 chicken skewers, 1 zucchini • Points +: 5 pts • Smart Points: 9 Calories: 213.5 • Fat: 8.5 g • Carb: 14 g • Fiber: 1.5 g • Protein: 21 g • Sugar: 10 g Sodium: 618.5 mg* • Cholest: 72 mg Read more at http://www.skinnytaste.com/grilled-chicken-and-zucchini-yakitori/#v0O6pge95T8WSCcQ.99
Share this Recipe