|Prep Time||35 minutes|
|Cook Time||50 minutes|
|Passive Time||30 minutes|
- 3/4 lb unsalted butter at room temperature, plus more for greasing the pans, 3 sticks
- 2 C sugar
- 5 extra-large eggs at room temperature
- 1 1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 tsp pure almond extract
- 3 C all-purpose flour plus more for dusting the pans
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1 C milk
- 4 oz sweetened shredded coconut
- For the frosting:
- 1 lb cream cheese at room temperature
- 1/2 lb unsalted butter at room temperature, 2 sticks
- 3/4 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp pure almond extract
- 1 lb confectioners’ sugar sifted
- 6 oz sweetened shredded coconut
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Grease 2 (9-inch) round cake pans, then line them parchment paper. Grease them again and dust lightly with flour.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, cream the butter and sugar on medium-high speed for 3 to 5 minutes, until light yellow and fluffy. Crack the eggs into a small bowl. With the mixer on medium speed, add the eggs 1 at a time, scraping down the bowl once during mixing. Add the vanilla and almond extracts and mix well. The mixture might look curdled; don't be concerned.
- In a separate bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. With the mixer on low speed, alternately add the dry ingredients and the milk to the batter in 3 parts, beginning and ending with dry ingredients. Mix until just combined. Fold in the 4 ounces of coconut with a rubber spatula.
- Pour the batter evenly into the 2 pans and smooth the top with a knife. Bake in the center of the oven for 45 to 55 minutes, until the tops are browned and a cake tester comes out clean. Cool on a baking rack for 30 minutes, then turn the cakes out onto a baking rack to finish cooling.
- For the frosting, in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, combine the cream cheese, butter, vanilla and almond extract on low speed. Add the confectioners' sugar and mix until just smooth (don't whip!).
- To assemble, place 1 layer on a flat serving plate, top side down, and spread with frosting. Place the second layer on top, top side up, and frost the top and sides. To decorate the cake, sprinkle the top with coconut and lightly press more coconut onto the sides. Serve at room temperature.
Original Recipe: https://www.cookingclassy.com/coconut-cake/
I've made these as cupcakes with my whipped buttercream frosting, think I would have liked a bit more coconut flavor for just the cake part, but with the frosting it should be amazing!!
Share this Recipe
Amount Per Serving
Calories 1075 Calories from Fat 495
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 55g 85%
Saturated Fat 37g 185%
Polyunsaturated Fat 0.1g
Monounsaturated Fat 0.4g
Cholesterol 175mg 58%
Sodium 428mg 18%
Potassium 205mg 6%
Total Carbohydrates 134g 45%
Dietary Fiber 3g 12%
Protein 11g 22%
Vitamin A 35%
Vitamin C 0.3%
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet.