- 2 28 oz cans crushed tomatoes
- 1 8 oz can tomato sauce
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 1 head garlic
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- Roast the garlic. Preheat oven to 400F. Remove as much of the papery cover from the garlic head as you can. Cut the top of the garlic head so that each clove is exposed. Drizzle olive oil over the exposed cloves. Wrap the garlic head in foil so that it is complete covered but not compressed, and will sit upright on a baking sheet. Bake in the oven for 30-35 minutes or until it is soft.
- While garlic is roasting, cook the tomato sauce in a small pan just warm enough to simmer gently. Cook until reduced to 1/3-1/4 original volume.
- In large sauce pan, add olive oil and heat until the oil is hot and shimmering. Add chopped onion and cook until softened and just starting to brown. Add the roast garlic cloves and crush them slightly in the pan. Add crushed tomatoes.
- Add herbs to taste. You can use dried or fresh. I use 3-4 sprigs of thyme, about 2 sprigs of oregano, and around 6 basil leaves. You can always add more. after it has cooked for a few minutes. I did not chop the herbs because I blend the sauce once it's done cooking, but if you don't intend to blend, you should probably chop the herbs finely.
- Let simmer slowly, stirring frequently, for about 20-10 minutes. Taste a couple of times to see if you need more herbs. Salt and pepper to taste.
- The sauce is now ready to serve, unless you want to blend it until smooth.
- CAUTION: Blending hot items is NOT recommended, and can be dangerous, and the lid can pop off and hot liquids can fly around. And yes, they can burn! You should probably give the sauce a few minutes to cool before you blend. Depending on the size of your blender, you may need to blend it in two batches.
- Pour the sauce back into the sauce pan and rewarm before serving. I like to add the salt and pepper at this point, since now the tomatoes and herbs have had plenty of time to cook together.
Share this Recipe
Cindy's Marinara Sauce
Amount Per Serving
Calories 60 Calories from Fat 18
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 2g 3%
Saturated Fat 0.3g 2%
Polyunsaturated Fat 0.04g
Monounsaturated Fat 0.01g
Sodium 175mg 7%
Potassium 356mg 10%
Total Carbohydrates 9g 3%
Dietary Fiber 3g 12%
Protein 2g 4%
Vitamin A 10%
Vitamin C 13%
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet.