- 2 C whole milk
- 1 C sugar
- 4 egg yolks
- 1/4 tsp sea salt (or pinch of salt for anything other than maple bourbon)
- 2 C half-and-half
- 2 C whipping cream
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 C maple syrup
- 4 Tbsp bourbon
- In a medium saucepan, whisk together milk, sugar, egg yolks, and salt. Place pan over medium-high heat and whisk until mixture reaches a simmer. Lower heat to medium and whisk for 5 minutes or until mixture begins to thicken. Strain mixture into a large bowl, then whisk in half-and- half, cream, and vanilla. (and bourbon and maple syrup for maple bourbon ice cream) Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate until chilled, about 2 hours.
- Meanwhile, freeze an empty freezer-safe shallow bowl or pan. Stainless steel works well for this. Place the cold mixture into the cold pan.
- Chill for about 20 minutes and check your ice cream. As the edges start to freeze, stir the mixture rapidly with a whisk or spatula to break up the partially frozen ice cream. This will help make it smooth and creamy. You cannot over-beat. Return to the freezer.
- Stir ice cream vigorously every 30 minutes until it is firmly frozen. This may be repeated 4 to 5 times until mixture is smooth and creamy. If ice cream becomes too hard, place it into the refrigerator until it becomes soft enough to beat and continue the process.
- Ripen the ice cream by storing it in a covered freezer container until ready to serve.
Chocolate Ice Cream Variation: After straining mixture in step 1, add 1 cup semisweet chocolate chips and stir until melted and fully incorporated. Continue with recipe.
Mint Chocolate Chip Ice Cream Variation: In step 1, substitute 1 teaspoon peppermint extract for 1 teaspoon vanilla. Once ice cream’s made, stir in 2 cups mini chocolate chips.
Peanut Butter Ice Cream Variation: After straining mixture in step 1, add 1 cup smooth peanut butter and stir until fully incorporated. Continue with recipe.
Maple Bourbon with Candied Bacon: After straining mixture in step 1, add 1 1/2 C maple syrup, 1/4 tsp. sea salt, and 4 Tbsp bourbon. Stir until fully incorporated. Continue with recipe. Add 4-5 strips of bacon or candied bacon, finely chopped, during the last mixing session. (Or have some to sprinkle on top)
**Chocolate Cherry Cordial: (Haven't tested yet!!) After straining mixture in step 1, add 1 cup semisweet chocolate chips, 4 Tbsp (booze, lots of options, maybe cherry flavor?), maybe substitute cherry extract for vanilla? Serve with maraschino cherries. (If extract doesn't work, add ~5oz. of chopped cherries)
You can substitute 3/4 C milk and 1/4 C heavy cream in place of half and half