- 4-6 apples or 1 per person you are serving
- 1 lb sausage (ground italian or breakfast sage nitrate free)
- 1 red onion finely diced
- 2 Tbsp honey or maple syrup
- 1 large rib of celery finely diced
- tsp spices to taste I used 1each of rosemary, thyme, sage, garlic powder, salt and pepper
- Preheat the oven to 375.
- Brown the sausage in a large skillet until completely cooked.
- Remove sausage and add onion and celery to pan and saute until starting to soften.
- Return sausage to pan, mix well and spice to taste.
- Drizzle with the maple syrup or honey.
- Cut each apple in half (don’t peel) and scoop out the seed area with a spoon or sharp knife to make each apple a “bowl.” Alternately, you can use a corer to remove most of the inside and leave the apples in tact (as pictured).
- Spoon some of the sausage mixture into each apple and place on the bottom of a large baking dish.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes until apples are cooked and fragrant.
- Remove and serve with salad.
Original recipe: https://wellnessmama.com/5374/sausage-stuffed-apples/
Share this Recipe
Sausage Stuffed Apples
Amount Per Serving
Calories 381 Calories from Fat 99
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 11g 17%
Saturated Fat 3g 15%
Polyunsaturated Fat 3g
Monounsaturated Fat 4g
Cholesterol 92mg 31%
Sodium 790mg 33%
Potassium 566mg 16%
Total Carbohydrates 40g 13%
Dietary Fiber 5g 20%
Protein 32g 64%
Vitamin A 2%
Vitamin C 20%
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet.