|Prep Time||20 minutes|
|Cook Time||3 hours|
- 1 lb. beef roast I used beef shoulder arm roast
- 1/2 lb. potatoes peeled and cut into large chunks (1 1/2-2")
- 1/2 lb. carrots peeled and cut into large chunks (1 1/2-2")
- 8 pearl onions peeled
- 2 tsp. sage dried
- 2 tsp. thyme dried
- 6 C beef bouillon hot, enough to completely cover roast and veggies
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste I like kosher salt for this
- 2 Tbsp all-purpose flour
- Remove roast from refrigerator about an hour before cooking - long enough for the roast to be about room temperature.
- Preheat oven to 325F.
- Heart oil in dutch oven to medium/medium-high heat. Pat roast dry and sprinkle salt and pepper on all sides, patting to help seasonings stick. Brown slightly on all sides - since it's a small roast and near room temperature, it won't take long on each side or you will start cooking it, maybe 45 seconds each side. Make sure to get every surface of the roast!
- Add sage and thyme to hot bouillon and mix well.
- Remove roast from dutch oven and drain excess fat. Place roast back in dutch oven and add hot bouillon, thyme, and sage. Make sure lid is on properly so that it hols all of the liquid and steam, and place in oven.
- Cook for 1 1/2 hours, then remove and add vegetables. Be sure to spread everything around so that it's totally cover with the liquid.
- Return to over and cook another 1 1/2 hours, or until roast is so tender it falls apart when you try to fork it.
- Move roast and vegetables from dutch oven to platter, and cover well to keep warm. Place dutch over with cooking liquid on burner on medium/medium-high heat. Add 2 Tbsp flour to liquid and whisk together. Let simmer until liquid is reduce to about 1/3 and gravy is thickened, whisking frequently.
Share this Recipe
Cindy's Small Pot Roast
Amount Per Serving
Calories 287 Calories from Fat 81
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 9g 14%
Saturated Fat 3g 15%
Polyunsaturated Fat 0.3g
Monounsaturated Fat 2g
Cholesterol 50mg 17%
Sodium 86448mg 3602%
Potassium 851mg 24%
Total Carbohydrates 25g 8%
Dietary Fiber 4g 16%
Protein 28g 56%
Vitamin A 197%
Vitamin C 32%
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet.