|Prep Time||10 minutes|
|Cook Time||20 minutes|
- 2 1/2 cups chicken broth divided
- 2 cups whole milk
- 4 tablespoons butter divided
- 3/4 cup stone-ground grits
- 1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 4 strips bacon
- 1 lb large or jumbo shrimp peeled and deveined
- kosher salt and black pepper
- thinly sliced green onions for garnish (optional)
- Bring 2 cups chicken broth, the milk, 3 tablespoons butter, and a pinch of salt to a gentle boil in a medium sized pot. Add the grits and whisk together. Cover and simmer for 15-20 minutes, or until grits are fully cooked, soft, and creamy, whisking again every 5 minutes or so.
- Meanwhile, cook the bacon strips until crispy in a nonstick or cast iron skillet. Set aside on a paper towel lined plate. Once cool, chop into small pieces.
- Drain all but 2 tablespoons of the bacon grease from the skillet.
- Rinse the shrimp with cold water and pat dry. Season with salt and pepper. Cook in the bacon grease until only just cooked- about 2 minutes per side.
- Add the remaining tablespoon butter and 1/2 cup chicken broth to the shrimp and stir until melted and broth is heated.
- When grits are finished cooking, remove from heat and stir in the cheese until melted.
- Serve the shrimp mixture over the grits, making sure to spoon some of the liquid from the skillet over the grits, and sprinkle with the bacon pieces and sliced green onions. Serve immediately.
Share this Recipe
Easy Classic Shrimp & Grits
Amount Per Serving
Calories 739 Calories from Fat 333
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 37g 57%
Saturated Fat 16g 80%
Polyunsaturated Fat 4g
Monounsaturated Fat 2g
Cholesterol 312mg 104%
Sodium 1932mg 81%
Potassium 382mg 11%
Total Carbohydrates 44g 15%
Dietary Fiber 3g 12%
Protein 57g 114%
Vitamin A 26%
Vitamin C 2%
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet.