|Prep Time||15 minutes|
|Cook Time||35 minutes|
- 6 C fresh spinach leaves trimmed washed (230 g) see note for frozen/cooked spinach
- 3 C boiling water
- 3 eggs
- 1/2 C grated cheese - I used Cheddar (I'm trying mozzarella) 60g
- 1/4 C fresh herbs of your choice finely chopped; I used cilantro
- 1 C Gluten Free Panko Crumbs 75 g
- 1/2 tsp garlic salt
- Preheat oven to 350 F (180 C).
- Trim and wash the fresh spinach leaves.
- Place the leaves in a large mixing bowl and over with boiling water. Cover and set aside for 3 minutes.
- Rinse the spinach with cold tap water. Drain using your hands to squeeze all the remaining water. You should obtain about 2/3 cup (160 g) of packed cooked spinach leaves. If you are using frozen spinach, defrost and measure this quantity.
- Place on a chop board and finely chop the cooked spinach. Transfer into a mixing bowl.
- Add eggs, cheese, herbs and panko gluten free crumbs. You can also add salt and pepper if your cheese is not very salty. I did not add salt.
- Combine with a spoon or your hands, until it forms a batter from which you are able to form balls with your hands or use a small cookie scoop maker to avoid the mess
- If too moist add slightly more crumb until easy to roll as ball with your hands palms.
- Place the balls on a non-stick cookie tray covered with baking paper.
- Bake at 350F (180C) for 15-20 minutes or until golden on the top.
- Serve immediately or cold in luchboxes.
- Serve with dips of your choice like pesto, hummus or homemade ketchup.
[recipe]Spinach measurement : you need about 6 cups of fresh spinach. It makes about 2/3 cup (160 g) of cooked, squeezed and packed spinach. It is OK to use frozen spinach as soon as you have 2/3 cup cooked, squeezed, packed spinach. Cheese options: you can replace grated cheddar but mozzarella, parmesan, colby, emmental or any hard grated cheese you love. Herbs options: those spinach balls are very tasty with fresh parsley, dill or basil. Use your favorite herb or mix it!
Share this Recipe
Amount Per Serving
Calories 30 Calories from Fat 18
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 2g 3%
Saturated Fat 1g 5%
Polyunsaturated Fat 0.1g
Monounsaturated Fat 0.2g
Cholesterol 23mg 8%
Sodium 68mg 3%
Potassium 271mg 8%
Total Carbohydrates 2g 1%
Dietary Fiber 1g 4%
Protein 3g 6%
Vitamin A 90%
Vitamin C 22%
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet.