|Prep Time||10 minutes|
|Cook Time||1 hour|
- 3 Tbsp butter
- 2 Tbsp all-purpose flour
- 3 C milk or half and half cream
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
- 2 C cheddar cheese shredded, divided
- 1 C gruyere shredded (can use all cheddar)
- 6 C thinly sliced potatoes about 2 1/2 pounds
- 1/4 C diced onion
- 1 Tbsp freshly snipped parsley
- Melt the butter in a saucepan over medium heat.
- Add the flour and whisk until combined.
- Slowly stir in 1 cup of cream (or milk) and whisk until smooth.
- Stir in the remaining cream, salt and pepper. Whisk constantly until the mixture starts to thicken. This will take 3-5 minutes.
- Add in 2 cups of the shredded cheddar cheese and stir until smooth. Remove the white sauce from the stove.
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Spray a 9x13 pan with cooking spray.
- Place half of the potatoes in the greased pan. Cover them with the onions and half of the sauce.
- Place the remaining potatoes in the pan and then pour the remaining sauce overtop.
- Cover the pan with foil and bake for 40 minutes.
- Uncover the pan, sprinkle the remaining cup of shredded cheddar over the top and bake uncovered for an additional 15-20 minutes or until the top of the potatoes are lightly browned, the cheese is metled and the potatoes are tender. The exact timing will depend on how thick you have cut the potatoes.
- Top with fresh parsley, if desired. Serve warm.
Share this Recipe
Potatoes au Gratin
Amount Per Serving
Calories 558 Calories from Fat 279
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 31g 48%
Saturated Fat 17g 85%
Polyunsaturated Fat 2g
Monounsaturated Fat 4g
Cholesterol 100mg 33%
Sodium 805mg 34%
Potassium 909mg 26%
Total Carbohydrates 39g 13%
Dietary Fiber 4g 16%
Protein 31g 62%
Vitamin A 26%
Vitamin C 58%
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet.