- For Syrup (Simple Syrup):
- 2 C sugar
- 2 C water
- For Künefe:
- 1 lb. phyllo dough shredded
- 1/2 lb. mozzarella cheese or any other white, stringy, unsalted cheese, shredded
- 1 C butter
- 1/2 C milk
- For Garnish:
- 3 Tbsp pistachios finely ground
- In a medium pot, combine sugar and water and put on the stove. Let it boil and remove from heat. Let it cool.
- Heat the oven to 375º F.
- Remove phyllo dough from package.
- Shred it in a food processor or chop it up with a sharp knife until the shredded phyllo dough pieces are very small.
- Melt butter in a non-stick pan. Add the shredded phyllo and mix continuously.
- Add the milk and continue mixing until the butter and milk are completely incorporated into the shredded pyhllo. Remove from heat.
- In a round pan or a Pyrex dish, place half of the buttered phyllo dough and press with a spatula or your hands.
- Distribute the shredded, unsalted cheese evenly on top of the buttered phyllo dough and press with a spatula or hands.
- Add the rest of the buttered phyllo dough on top of the cheese and distribute and press evenly.
- Place the künefe pan and bake for 45-50 minutes or until golden brown.
- Remove from oven and pour the cold syrup on the hot künefe. Let the künefe absorb the syrup for about 5 minutes.
- Serve hot immediately.
Share this Recipe