- 1 1/4 pounds ground chuck (try chicken)
- 1 15 ounce can tomato sauce
- 1/2 tsp salt
- freshly ground black pepper
- 8 oz egg noodles
- 1/2 C sour cream
- 1 1/4 C small curd cottage cheese
- Pinch red pepper flakes
- 1/2 C sliced green onions less to taste
- 1 C grated sharp Cheddar
- Crusty French bread for serving
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Brown the ground chuck in a large skillet. Drain the fat, and then add the tomato sauce, 1/2 teaspoon salt and plenty of freshly ground black pepper. Stir, and then simmer while you prepare the other ingredients.
- Cook the egg noodles until al dente. Drain and set aside.
- In a medium bowl, combine the sour cream and cottage cheese. Add plenty of freshly ground black pepper and a pinch of red pepper flakes. Add to the noodles and stir. Add the green onions and stir.
- To assemble, add half of the noodles to a baking dish. Top with half the meat mixture, and then sprinkle on half the grated Cheddar. Repeat with noodles, meat and then a final layer of cheese. Bake until all the cheese is melted, about 20 minutes.
- Serve with crusty French bread.
- To freeze: Assemble the Sour Cream Noodle Bake in a disposable aluminum oven-proof pan and seal the top of the container with the lid or heavy foil. Seal the edges to prevent freezer burn and place in the freezer.
- To cook from frozen: Place directly in a 375-degree F oven and bake, covered, for 45 minutes. Remove the lid and bake until lightly brown and bubbly, about 20 minutes more.
Share this Recipe
Sour Cream Noodle Bake
Amount Per Serving
Calories 987 Calories from Fat 513
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 57g 88%
Saturated Fat 30g 150%
Polyunsaturated Fat 0.1g
Monounsaturated Fat 6g
Cholesterol 204mg 68%
Sodium 1068mg 45%
Potassium 488mg 14%
Total Carbohydrates 56g 19%
Dietary Fiber 5g 20%
Protein 58g 116%
Vitamin A 28%
Vitamin C 23%
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet.