- 1/4 C soy sauce
- 1/4 C rice vinegar
- 1/4 C sugar
- 1 1/2 Tbsp Shaoxing wine or dry cooking sherry
- 1 Tbsp sesame oil
- 6 garlic cloves smashed
- 8 1/4-inch-thick slices of peeled ginger
- 6 scallions chopped
- 1 tsp Sichuan peppercorns 1 diced red chili pepper(optional)
- 2 lb chicken breasts or thighs cut into bite-sized pieces
- 2 star anise or pinch of anise seed (optional)
- 1/2 C water
- Make the braising liquid: In a bowl combine the soy sauce, rice vinegar, sugar, and Shaoxing wine together and mix well. Set aside.
- Place the oil in a wok or large saute pan over high heat and swirl until hot. A drop of water should evaporate within 1-2 seconds. Add the garlic, ginger, scallions, and Sichuan peppercorns/chili pepper if using and stir-fry for 30 seconds or until fragrant.
- Add the chicken and stir-fry until no pink on the surface remains (you just want to sear the outside nicely).
- Add the braising liquid and star anise or anise seed if using and cook for 1 minute ensuring that the chicken is well coated in the braising liquid. Add the water and cover and cook for 4 more minutes or until the chicken is cooked through and no pink remains. Serve immediately over rice with hearty amounts of the broth. Garnish with a little extra chopped scallion.
Share this Recipe