|Prep Time||1 hour|
|Cook Time||20 minutes|
- 4 C cooked white rice
- 1/4 C butter
- 1/4 C all-purpose flour
- 2 C milk
- 2 tsp chicken bouillon powder
- 1 tsp seasoned salt
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp ground black pepper
- 5 C chicken breast boneless, skinless; cooked & shredded
- 12 oz processed cheese food cubed, eg. Velveeta
- 2 C sour cream
- 1/2 C butter
- 2 C crushed buttery round crackers
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees F (230 degrees C).
- Spread rice in the bottom of a 9×13 inch baking dish; set aside.
- In a medium saucepan melt butter or margarine and stir in flour until smooth. Gradually add milk, bouillon granules, seasoned salt, garlic powder and pepper. Stir all together and bring to a boil. Let simmer and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened and bubbly. Reduce heat; add chicken, cheese and sour cream. Stir until cheese is melted. Mix all together and pour mixture over rice.
- Melt 1/2 cup butter or margarine in saucepan and toss with crushed cracker crumbs. Sprinkle crumb mixture over casserole. Bake in the preheated oven for 10 to 15 minutes or until heated through.
I'm going to make this for my mum, who has food allergies, and is lactose intolerant. The internet says Velveeta, etc, are generally worse for lactose intolerant people than regular cheeses, so I'm going to try substituting 2% lactose free milk for the milk, and a mix of 3/4 mild cheddar and 1/4 mozzarella.
Share this Recipe