- corn or peanut oil
- 1 lb cod or 1 lb other lean fish fillet
- 2/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 tablespoon vinegar
- 2/3 cup water
Prep Time: 35 mins
Total Time: 1 hr
- 1 Cut potatoes lengthwise into ½-inch strips.
- 2 Heat oil (2 to 3 inches or enough to cover) in deep fryer or Dutch oven to 375 degrees.
- 3 Fill basket one-fourth full with potatoes. (I don’t have a basket – I use a Fry Daddy and it works fine. Just be sure and put the chips in one at a time so they don’t stick to each other.) Skip the next step if you’re not using a basket.
- 4 Slowly lower basket into hot oil. (If oil bubbles excessively, raise and lower basket several times.) Use a long-handled fork to keep potatoes separated.
- 5 Fry potatoes 5 to 7 minutes or until golden brown; drain on paper towels.
- 6 Place potatoes in single layer on cookie sheet and keep warm.
- 7 Repeat with remaining potatoes.
- 8 Cut fish filets into 2 x 1/-1/2-inch pieces. Pat dry with paper towels.
- 9 Mix flour and salt.
- 10 Mix baking soda and vinegar.
- 11 Stir vinegar mixture and water into flour mixture; beat until smooth.
- 12 Dip fish into batter, allowing excess batter to drip into bowl.
- 13 Fry 4 or 5 fish pieces at a time (do not use basket) about 3 minutes, turning fish once, until brown. Drain on paper towels.
- 14 Set oven control to broil. Broil potatoes 6 inches from heat 2 to 3 minutes or until crisp.