- 4 1/2 tsp instant yeast two 0.25-ounce packets
- 3/4 C warm water 80 - 90F
- 2 2/3 C warm water 80 - 90F
- 1/4 C granulated sugar
- 1 Tbsp salt
- 3 Tbsp unsalted butter cubed, at room temperature
- 9 C all-purpose flour
- 3 Tbsp unsalted butter (melted for brushing)
- In the bowl of a mixer, stir to dissolve the yeast in 3/4 (3/8) cup of the warm water, and let sit for 5 minutes. Add the remaining cups water, sugar, salt, room temperature butter, and half of the flour and stir to combine.
- Using a dough hook, mix on low speed and gradually add the remaining flour until the dough is soft and tacky, but not sticky (you may not need to use all of the flour). Continue to knead until a soft ball of dough forms and clears the sides of the bowl, about 7 to 10 minutes.
- Place the dough in a lightly greased bowl and turn it over so it is completely coated. Cover with plastic wrap and set in a draft-free place to rise until doubled in size, about 45 minutes to 1 hour.
- Turn the dough out onto a clean, lightly floured surface. Gently press it all over to remove any air pockets. Divide the dough in two and, working with one piece at a time, gently pat it into a 9x12-inch rectangle. Roll up the rectangle, starting on the short end, into a very tight cylinder. Pinch to seal the seams and the ends, tuck the ends of the roll until the bread, and place into greased 9-inch loaf pans. Cover the loaves loosely and place in a draft-free area until doubled in size, 30 to 45 minutes.
- Position an oven rack on the lowest setting and preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- Brush the loaves with some of the melted butter. Bake the loaves for 30 to 35 minutes, rotating halfway through, until golden brown (an instant-read thermometer inserted into the center should read 195 degrees F).
- Remove from the oven and immediately brush with more of the melted butter. Allow to cool for 10 minutes, then remove from the pans and cool completely before slicing. The bread can be stored in an airtight bread bag or wrapped tightly in plastic wrap at room temperature for up to 4 days. It can also be frozen for up to 1 month.
Original recipe: https://www.browneyedbaker.com/white-bread-recipe/
Share this Recipe
Amount Per Serving
Calories 3960 Calories from Fat 297
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 33g 51%
Saturated Fat 21g 105%
Cholesterol 90mg 30%
Sodium 2917mg 122%
Potassium 1420mg 41%
Total Carbohydrates 810g 270%
Dietary Fiber 35g 140%
Protein 106g 212%
Vitamin A 24%
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet.