- 1 C bacon cooked and chopped, ~ 8 slices
- 2 1/2 C flour sifted
- 3/4 C Dark chocolate cocoa powdered sifted
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 C unsalted butter melted
- 1/4 C vegetable oil
- 2 C sugar
- 5 large eggs
- 2 tbsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 sour cream
- 1 C bourbon
- For the glaze:
- 1 1/2 c powdered sugar sifted
- 1/2 c unsalted butter browned, 1 stick
- 2 tbsp Pure maple syrup
- 2 tbsp milk
- Cook bacon according to package instructions. Allow to cool and chop cooked bacon into small pieces.
- Preheat oven to 350° F. Grease a bundt cake pan and coat with cocoa powder instead of flour.
- In a medium sized bowl, sift flour and cocoa powder. I usually sift my cocoa powder with a sieve instead of my actual sifter. Add baking powder and salt and set aside.
- In a microwave safe bowl, melt butter. Combine melted butter in mixing bowl with oil and sugar. Beat on medium speed for 3 minutes until light and fluffy.
- Add eggs, one at a time, ensure that each egg is well beaten before adding the next one. After all eggs have been added, add the vanilla extract and sour cream.
- Alternate adding the flour mixture and the bourbon. First, pour in half of the dry ingredients and beat for 30 seconds before adding half of the bourbon. Repeat with remaining flour mixture and remaining bourbon.
- Pour batter in the greased coated bundt cake pan. Bake at 350°F for 45-50 minutes. Check for doneness by inserting a toothpick into the center of the cake. If the toothpick comes out clean, your cake is done.
- Transfer to a wire rack to cool for 30 minutes. After 30 minutes, place the wire rack on top of the bundt pan and flip it over. Gently tapping the sides to release the cake. You may want to put a piece of parchment paper or a plate over the cake before you flip it so you can easily move it off the wire rack without sticking. If the cake does not release, take a butter knife and gently insert along the edge of the pan to help release.
- For the glaze:
- Sift powered sugar. The step is necessary to create a smooth glaze.
- Melt butter in a saucepan. Once melted, continue to stir until butter turns a golden brown.
- Pour melted butter over powdered sugar. Add maple syrup and milk. Whisk until smooth.
- For a thicker glaze, add only 1 tablespoon of milk instead of two. Or add additional powered sugar. To make glaze thinner, add additional milk.
- This next step is optional and a little tricky. I like my glaze to drip off the sides of the cake and not pool up in the middle. However, it becomes difficult to move the cake once glazed. I happen to own a cake lift, but I suggest using two large knife to move the cake after glaze.
- Gently remove/side cake from plate and onto wire rack. Place a sheet of wax paper below wire rack (for easy clean up).
- Gently pour glaze over cake. Sprinkle with bacon pieces.
Original Recipe: https://beyondfrosting.com/2015/01/14/bourbon-maple-bacon-chocolate-cake/
Share this Recipe
Ultimate Bourbon Maple Bacon Chocolate Cake
Amount Per Serving
Calories 1278 Calories from Fat 477
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 53g 82%
Saturated Fat 26g 130%
Polyunsaturated Fat 4g
Monounsaturated Fat 3g
Cholesterol 219mg 73%
Sodium 705mg 29%
Potassium 485mg 14%
Total Carbohydrates 173g 58%
Dietary Fiber 10g 40%
Protein 24g 48%
Vitamin A 23%
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet.