- 1 lb. chicken I used chicken drumsticks
- 6 slices peeled ginger
- 6 cloves garlic skin peeled
- 2 tablespoons dark sesame oil
- 1 1/2 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 1/2 tablespoon Shaoxing wine
- 1 1/2 tablespoon dark sweet soy sauce Kecap Manis
- A big bunch of Thai basil leaves
- 1 tablespoon baking soda (to tenderize the chicken optional)
- Cut the chicken into pieces and marinate them with baking soda. Set aside for 10 minutes before rinsing the chicken off with water. Make sure the baking soda is completely rinsed off. Pat dry the chicken pieces and set aside.
- Heat up a claypot on high heat and add the dark sesame oil. Add garlic and ginger and stir-fry until aromatic. Add in chicken and do a few quick stirs. Add soy sauce, sweet soy sauce, Shaoxing wine and continue to stir-fry the chicken. Cover the chicken and lower the heat and simmer for 5 minutes. Add basil leaves and stir well with the chicken, dish out and serve immediately.
This recipe calls for dark sesame oil, which is different from regular sesame oil. Dark sesame oil is a lot more expensive but the flavor is more intense and with a stronger toasted sesame fragrance. You can skip the first step of tenderizing the chicken with baking soda. I personally like it because it makes the chicken so tender. If you don’t have a clay pot, you can use a regular wok to make this dish.
Share this Recipe