- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 2 red onions thinly sliced lengthways
- 3 garlic cloves
- 2 tsp ground ginger
- 1/2 tsp saffron in a little warm water
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- Juice of ½ lemon
- 2 small preserved lemons
- 2 tbsp chopped parsley
- Small bunch of fresh coriander
- 6 chicken thighs
- 3 tbsp violet olives
- Heat a tagine or heavy-bottomed shallow lidded pan on a low heat and add the oil, followed by a layer of onion. Mash the garlic with ½tsp salt and add to the pan.
- Sprinkle over the ginger, saffron water and cinnamon, followed by the lemon juice, and coarsely chopped pulp of one preserved lemon and the rind of both, cut into slivers. Add the parsley and 2tbsp chopped coriander and toss it all together well.
- Arrange the chicken on top and scatter over the olives. Pour 175ml water into the pan, cover tightly and simmer very gently for about 45 minutes until the chicken is cooked through.
- Season to taste and top with the remaining coriander, chopped.
Can subsitute 1/4 tsp saffron with 1/8 tsp turmeric and 1/4 tsp sweet paprika. Not quite the same, but supposed to be pretty good, and a lot cheaper!
Share this Recipe